Saturday, June 14, 2008

First Two Nights in Vegas

“A journey of 1,000 miles starts with a single step”
I was expecting to arrive in Vegas last night around 9:20 local time and make it to the Rio by 10:15. Unfortunately, my flight was delayed an hour and my seat in the jet wouldn’t recline so I couldn’t sleep. Once I scooped up my luggage I was too cheap to get a cab, so I waited 45 minutes for a shuttle to take me to the Rio. All in all I arrived about 2 hours late, a little after midnight. I finally met my boy Sox Nation (Jared) and his best friend Dave. It’s a little weird knowing you are going to be living with someone you’ve only known on the Internet and never met in real life, but I was pretty sure this was gonna work fine. Luckily, both of these guys are awesome, and we had a couple of drinks at the Rio and shot the shit.
Unfortunately, my sleep schedule was jacked up and by the time we went to bed it was like 6:30 est. time (3:30 Vegas), and I couldn’t sleep. I literally got 0 minutes of sleep. Anyways, I got up early and went and got acquainted with the WSOP set up, which is actually in a convention center in the back of the Rio.
I was going to bring $10,000 with me, unfortunately I was too lazy and too late getting to the bank. I am sure I can find a Bank of America out here, but this has given myself an opportunity to set a new goal. I have $1,500 starting cash, my goal is to turn it into my WSOP buy-in by July 1.
Day 1 in poker went great, we headed over to the Bellagio, easily the best poker room in Vegas, for a little 30-60 action. The game was actually chalked (sp?) full of worse players than I had expected, and that’s saying something, because typically live players are terrible. These donkeys were limping into every pot, and calling raises with the same hands they would limp with. The median hand had 4 people to the flop, which is the equivalent to a 3-6 game online. Anyways, luckily I was running good (I.e. my big hands were holding up), which gave me a strong image and allowed me to steal a shitload of pots on bluffs. Unfortunately, Jared couldn’t get a hand to hold up and was taking a beating. All in all, I made about $1,800 playing poker, which is a very solid start, and gives me a chance to reach my goal. For any of my 3 readers who are unfamiliar with how poker works, even if you are the best 2 players at the table (as me and Jared were) there is around a 60% chance at least one of you will lose. Put another way, we each individually have an 80% chance of winning.
Random Thoughts
It was pretty awesome to be with some huge Celtics fan and watch the C’s come back from 24 down to beat the Lakers last night. Also, I went 3 for 3 on my $200 wagers (I took Pau Gasol to score over 16.5, Kobe under 31.5, and Under 191.5.)
It’s amazing to see all the young online kids here in Vegas, I have already met a few I’ve played online with. It’s hilarious to finally put a face with a screen name. It’s also funny that one of the most common questions is “What’s your screen name?”
I have built my bankroll from $1,500 to $3,900 after Day 1
We move into our baller condo in about 3 hours, in my next entry I will try to post some pictures (Jared has a camera.)
Sorry, this entry doesn’t have much debauchery, I was completely out of it yesterday, only getting 2 hours of sleep.

No comments: