Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Why I Play This Game

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are usually right"
-Henry Ford

Yo peeps. It ain’t easy, but it sure is fun. Life is good. I freakin remember why I play this game now. I spent the last 8 hours ripping up the Bellagio 30-60 game. Poker is a humbling game, after losing the last 2 days you start thinking you aren’t quite as good as you thought. Then you start to wonder why you waste your time playing this game. Well, today answered all these questions for me. The day completely 180’d for me. I bought in for 1400 and immediately lost 600. I literally had lost all confidence. I even mucked 77 preflop in an un-raised pot. Then it all turned, I picked up aces and they freaking held!!! It was turning. I grinded up about $500, then went and grabbed a quick Caesar salad from the “Snacks” restaurant. I came back and hit a rush. First pocket aces, then AK, then KK, then a huge pot with KJ of clubs. I was crushing. Suddenly I was up 2 dimes. Then some retarded 40 year old in his backwards hate and cool sunglasses started talking shit about me. Loud enough for me to hear, “there is no substitute for luck,” “Must be nice to get Pocket Aces and have them hold.” What a fuckin tool, has he never hit a run of cards? The guy was obviously the biggest fish in the game. As I was stacking my chips, he was bluffing his off raising 75 offsuit and betting to the river. Then my favorite hand of the night. I raise AJ of spades, someone calls, said jackass 3 bets on the button, and both blinds call. I just call. The flop comes 10 8 3 with 2 spades. The blinds check, I check, said monkey bets on the button, both blinds call and I come in with the Check raise. The turn is a second 10, the blinds check, I bet, monkey calls and both blinds call. The river comes the 8 of clubs. I am stuck with Ace high. Both blinds check, I bet (I can’t win if I don’t bet), monkey on the button gives some huge speech about how it must be nice to hit Ace 10 the way I did, then mucks, both blinds muck and I scoop the $800 pot and table Ace high. The guy looks like a dear in headlights, I quietly say “there is no substitute for luck” and stack his chips. Fucking Awesome! Loved every minute of it. I went on to win a total of $3,815. My second favorite part of the night was leaving. I had a few observers behind me commenting on my stack. The 30-60 game uses $10 chips. It’s standard to keep your chips in stacks of 20 ($200). I had a monster 5x5 square built out in front of me (5*5*200). At one point I almost had 6k in front of me. Anyways, the monkey soon lost all of his money and had to leave the game (I am sure it was more than he could afford to lose). As he got up, I began racking my chips (how you carry them to the cashier) and saying goodbye to the friendly people around me. This is basically a big slap in his face, because without saying it, I am making it clear he was the reason I was still playing, i.e. He’s a fucking donkey.

Random Thoughts

My boy J-Money (Jared Mahoney) also won 3k tonight, so we were both pretty happy.

The big game was running inside Bobby's Room at the Bellagio. Notable players include, Eli Elezra, Gus Hansen, Jen Harmen, Johnny Chan, Sammy Farha, and Todd Brunson.

I was sitting at the 30-60 game and some dude sits down in jeans, a t-shirt, a blazer, a backwards Detroit hat, and some huge aviators. He notices the D logo on my Titleist hat and asks me if I from Detroit. I say ya, Grosse Pointe. It turns out to be McClean, Trevor Mallon's roommate. It's a small world.

I think we will be back to the grind tomorrow.

Sorry for the lack of paragraphs, I was really fired up typing this out.

Cheers
2tyme