Monday, June 16, 2008

Laying Low and my first WSOP event

“Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where you are going and why.”


I have taken it pretty easy the last 2 days. Other than the WSOP event and the walking journey to the In N Out Burger I have not left the condo. I even passed up going to the Rhino last night, when all my roommates when. I am feeling good this morning and after a quick jog I am heading to the Rio to stomp on some donkeys. One final side note, this kid I was introduced to at The Post in East Lansing a couple weeks ago has made the final table of $5,000 Pot Limit Omaha with Rebuys Final Table. That is sick considering it is one of the sickest final tables I have ever seen. I am gonna go keep an eye on him well I am at the Rio. He is staying in the same facilities as I am, so hopefully I get invited to the after party.

Quick WSOP Recap

My first WSOP event proved to be a quick tourney. It was actually one of the sickest tourneys I’ve played in and it only lasted 45 minutes. I arrived to the Rio on about 4 hours of sleep and very out of it. Luckily, this killed any nerves I may have had about playing in a big buy in tourney. The field for this event was huge, it was the 2nd largest for the series to this point. Each player began with 3,000 chips. On my 4th hand of play I was in the Big Blind with K4 of spades, and some 300 pounder popped my big blind to 150 (100 more to me.) I made the call and the flop came 443. He bet out 200 and I immediately raised to 600 he called. At this point I know I have the best hand, and I just want to extract as much value as possible. The turn was an Ace which is a beautiful card to hit the board. I check hoping he hit the ace, and sure enough he fires 600 into the pot, I just call. River is a blank and the we each have about 1600 chips left. I bet 1200 into him and he calls displaying AQ. He swears at me a bit, and I smile and just stack his chips. I start thinking how easy this tourney is gonna be. 4 hands later I pick up KK make a standard raise to 200, and get called by the button and the small blind. I fire out 400 into a 567 rainbow flop and get called by the button and raised by SB to 1300. The problem here is I am either way ahead or way behind. He either has a pair and a draw or a set here. I really considered folding, but do to the short starting chip counts and the drawy board, I shoved all in. He instantly called and flipped 66 for a set. It held. After the hand the button tells me he had 10 10. If he 3 bets preflop, like he is supposed to, I likely stack him and am sitting on a monster stack.

Anyways, I am steamed at myself a bit for calling and I am back to 3,000 chips. I am ready to walk away from the table for a quick break when I look down on the very next hand to AA. American Airlines baby, time to get my chips back. The guy right before me raises to 200 and I am gonna get tricky and just smooth call. I toss in 200 and wait for the rest of the action behind me. What a disaster, 4 other people call. The flop peels KJ3 with 2 diamonds, and I realize due to the drawy nature of the board, I have to go all in. The initial raiser bets, and reraise big, and some lady in the small blind in the small blinds shoves all in. I have to call and do. She tables Q9 of diamonds for a flush draw and gutshot draw. I have the Ace of Diamonds for a redraw. The turn is the 7 of diamonds and I am almost busto. The river misses me by a mile and I am down to my last 100 chips. In retrospect, I played this hand terrible. I should have raised the 3 bet preflop, everyone would have thought I was tilting anyways. From now on, I am slow playing nothing in these tournaments with low starting chips.

Random Thoughts


In N Out Burger is very good. They only have 2 things on the menu though. Cheeseburgers (Single or Double) and French Fries. It is the simplest menu I have ever seen.

My poor friend David spent 10 hours in this sattalite tournament to win a seat to the main event. 226 people got seats and the person finishing 227th got nothing. David was up to 200,000 chips putting him in around 30th with 450 people left. He found some formula on the internet that said he could fold the rest of the way and get the seat. He decided to stick with this theory. He folded QQ and AK, not to mention many other hands he could have stolen the blinds with. It turns out the math was wrong and David ended up finishing in 228th place. 226 people won $12,000 and he got nothing. It was one of the sickest things I have been a part of.

Cheers
2tyme

No comments: